There are many types of tropical fish that you keep in your freshwater aquarium. Here are the best tropical fish species to keep if you’re a beginner or expert fishkeeper:
There are many different types of guppies. And, there’s no denying that these are some of the coolest freshwater aquarium fish to start with. Guppies are a popular choice for beginners because they are easy to care for. These fish are beautiful due to their varying colors and tail and fin shapes.
Rainbowfish are small, colorful, freshwater fish that make excellent tank mates. You can keep them together with other small, non-aggressive species of aquarium fish. There are also several different species of rainbowfish to choose from.
Iridescent sharks are a species of catfish native to Asia. While they are excellent tank fish, you must remember that they will eat any fish that can fit into their mouth. So, fish like Tetras, Danios, and Barbs are not good mates for tanks with iridescent sharks. They also need at least a 300-gallon tank.
These are small freshwater tropical fish native to South America. Neon Tetras are so popular in the United States that the country imports 1.5 million neon tetras per month.
Angelfish is a common pet fish with both beginner and long-time aquarists. Some of the best-known types of angelfish are the Silver Angelfish, Zebra Angelfish, Marbled Angelfish, Veiltail Angelfish, and Blushing Angelfish.
These freshwater aquarium fish have distinctive shapes and bright colors. Discus fish are easy to care for, but they need softer, somewhat acidic water.
Platy fish are another popular tropical fish for beginners. Common names include the southern platyfish, common platy, or moonfish. As pets, platys can be far more colorful than wild varieties, and come in several colors. They are rather peaceful and make for good tank mates.
Barbs are lively, hardy, and colorful fish. They are schooling species that do best if kept in groups of at least five or more. There are many different types of barbs, so you can add variety to your tank if you add these fish.
The Siamese fighting fish, also known as the betta, is popular in the aquarium trade. Bettas in the wild are carnivores. So, they feed on carrion, shrimp, insect larvae, insects, and small worms. These types of tropical fish, if kept as a pet, prefer solitary. But, there are some types of snails (aquarium snails) that you can add to the tank without issue.
Gouramis are some of the hardiest and most popular aquarium fish. They are easy to care for and breed. Some species are small, like the dwarf gouramis, and others grow up to 28 inches, like the giant gourami.
Bolivian Rams are colorful, peaceful, and easygoing aquarium fish. They can be quite shy and will not bother any other fish in your tank.
You can find most, if not all, of these freshwater aquarium fish by shopping online at any of the best online fish stores.
- Iridescent Shark Care Guide: Tank Mates, Tank Size, Growth Rate – https://www.fishkeepingworld.com/iridescent-shark/#Tank_Mates_for_Iridescent_Sharks
- Neon Tetra Fish Species Profile – https://www.thesprucepets.com/neon-tetra-paracheirodon-1381835
- Neon Tetra Fish in Aquarium Planted Tank – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V95qslKg3wU
- Angelfish, Silver Angelfish, Freshwater Angelfish, Common Angelfish – http://animal-world.com/encyclo/fresh/cichlid/angelfish.php
- What Makes The Perfect Cichlid Tank? – https://www.fishkeepingworld.com/what-makes-the-perfect-cichlid-tank/
- Freshwater Fish – https://www.liveaquaria.com/category/830/
- 10 Best Tropical Fish for Beginners | PetHelpful – https://pethelpful.com/fish-aquariums/Tropical-Fish-for-Beginners
- Tropical fish – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropical_fish