The Electric Blue Lobster or Blue Crayfish is an aquarium crayfish that has a vibrant blue-colored shell. Like other aquarium lobsters, they are always on the move in search of food. But, they can be territorial. Here’s what to know about caring for a blue lobster.
Blue Crayfish Image Gallery
Other names: Hammer’s Cobalt Blue Lobster, Electric Blue Crayfish, Sapphire Crayfish, Florida Crayfish
|Name||Blue Crayfish/Blue Lobster|
|Other Names||Hammers cobalt blue lobster, Electric Blue Lobster|
|Scientific Name||Procambarus alleni|
|Tank Size||20 gallons (minumum)|
|Size||5 inches (adult)|
|Optimal Temperature||60-80° F|
Blue Lobster Tank Size
The average size of an adult Electric Blue Lobster is 5 inches. In the store, they are usually about 2 to 3 inches in length. That being said, the minimum recommended tank size for an electric blue lobster is a 20-gallon tank. A 20-gallon long tank is best because there’s enough space at the bottom for the tangerine lobster to explore.
Blue crayfish like to have lots of places to explore. Hence, adding decorations, aquarium plants, and caves to the tank is recommended. Hiding places also add security for the crayfish when molting.
As for Blue lobster food, these lobsters/crayfish will eat high-quality sinking pellets, plants, and freeze-dried or frozen meaty foods. Add cuttlebone to the aquarium to supplement calcium, which will aid in exoskeleton development.
Blue Lobster Tank Mates
Hammers Cobalt Blue lobsters are territorial and will attack other crayfish and aquatic animals. So, aquarium shrimp, aquarium snails, and small fish are not suitable tank mates.
Bigger fish like Jack Dempsey Cichlids are also not good tank mates for blue crayfish because both species are territorial and will attack each other.
Before you buy fish or other aquatic animals for the tank, check with the clerk at the store about compatibility before purchasing.
- Differential growth of crayfish Procambarus alleni in relation to hydrological conditions in marl prairie wetlands of Everglades National Park, USA – https://www.nku.edu/~acostac/Acosta&PerryAqEcol2000.PDF
- Biology and ecology of juvenile Procambarus alleni and Procambarus fallax from the Everglades – https://apirs.plants.ifas.ufl.edu/entries/327264/
- Prohibiting Pet Crayfish Does Not Consistently Reduce Their Availability Online – https://scholarworks.utrgv.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1001&context=bio_fac
- Molting and Growth in Relation to Form Alternations in the Male SpinyCheek Crayfish Orconectes limosus – http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.500.5734&rep=rep1&type=pdf
More on Fish Tank Basics:
- White Spectre Crayfish Care: Size, Lifespan, Color, Diet – Video
- Tangerine Crayfish Care: Size, Lifespan, Color, Diet – Video