White Crayfish are a vibrant and beautiful addition to any freshwater aquarium. But, these crayfish, like other freshwater aquarium crayfish can be aggressive. So, it’s best to keep them in species-only tanks. Here’s everything you need to know about raising white crayfish in a fish tank.
White Crayfish Pictures
|Name||White Crayfish/White Specter Crayfish|
|Scientific Name||Procambarus Alleni|
|Tank Size||30 gallons (minumum)|
|Size||6 inches (adult)|
|Optimal Temperature||66-86° F|
White Crayfish Tank Size
The minimum aquarium size for a single adult white crayfish is 30 gallons (long). The more crayfish, the larger the tank needs to be. In general, they are not hostile toward the same species but as with all crayfish tensions can run high when there isn’t enough space in the tank.
White crayfish prefer a mixture of sand and gravel substrate because they like to burrow. Add lots of aquarium decorations, aquarium plants, and caves to the tank which provide hiding places for the crayfish when molting.
White Specter Crayfish enjoy a diet of meat-based sinking pellets, blanched vegetables, or algae wafers. They may also eat leftover fish food, flakes, live plants, dead plants.
Though they are more peaceful than other species of aquarium crayfish, they will still attack small fish or slow-moving fish. It’s best to avoid aquarium shrimp, aquarium snails, and freshwater clams.
How Rare Is A White Crayfish?
The White Specter Crayfish is rare a variety of the Electric Blue Crayfish, which originates from the rivers and streams of Florida and the Florida Keys. White Crayfish usually cost more than their blue counterparts given that they are so rare.
- Differential growth of crayfish Procambarus alleni in relation to hydrological conditions in marl prairie wetlands of Everglades National Park, USA – https://www.nku.edu/~acostac/Acosta&PerryAqEcol2000.PDF
- Biology and ecology of juvenile Procambarus alleni and Procambarus fallax from the Everglades – https://apirs.plants.ifas.ufl.edu/entries/327264/
- Prohibiting Pet Crayfish Does Not Consistently Reduce Their Availability Online – https://scholarworks.utrgv.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1001&context=bio_fac
- Molting and Growth in Relation to Form Alternations in the Male SpinyCheek Crayfish Orconectes limosus – http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.500.5734&rep=rep1&type=pdf
- Are white crayfish rare? – Reddit – https://www.reddit.com/r/Crayfish/comments/cf1q1e/are_white_crayfish_rare_what_will_the_offspring/