The five main things to look for when choosing a heater for an aquarium are:
Wattage is the power of the heater. The wattage determines how well the heater can heat and maintain the required temperature in the tank. In most cases, 3-5 watts per gallon is the recommended norm.
Never by a heater that is too powerful for your tank, and it is best to use two heaters in place of a single powerful heater. Here are some recommended wattage for aquarium heaters based on tank size:
- 50 Watts: Suitable for aquariums up to 15 gallons
- 100 Watts: Suitable for aquariums up to 30 gallons
- 200 Watts: Suitable for aquariums up to 65 gallons
- 300 Watts: Suitable for aquariums up to 100 gallons
A heater that allows you to adjust the temperature settings is ideal. Believe it or not, some heaters come equipped with unchangeable temperature settings.
A heater that has clear and accessible controls is best. It is especially important if you have to submerge the heater. A control knob that is easy to access and adjust will make the process less frustrating.
Most people recommend aquarium heaters that come with numerical temperature gauges. It makes monitoring the temperature of your tank easy.
The heater for your tank ought to be submergible, and it should have an automatic shut off feature to prevent overheating. Light indicators are also crucial so that you can tell when the heater is on and heating.
- Aquarium Heater Size Guide – The Spruce Pets – https://www.thesprucepets.com/aquarium-heater-size-guide-1381033
- Help with choosing a heater for a 75 gallon: Aquariums – Reddit – https://www.reddit.com/r/Aquariums/comments/ad14qq/help_with_choosing_a_heater_for_a_75_gallon/
- Let’s talk heaters: Aquariums – Reddit – https://www.reddit.com/r/Aquariums/comments/3gs4p6/lets_talk_heaters/
- Fish Tank Heaters by That Fish Place – That Pet Place – https://www.thatpetplace.com/articles/fish-tank-heaters-article
- The Best Aquarium Heaters – /best-aquarium-heaters
- The Different Types of Aquarium Heaters – /types-of-aquarium-heaters