The SunSun JUP-01 (9watts) and Sun UV Sterilizer (13watts) are two of the best aquarium UV sterilizers available. Both of these models do a great job at clearing up murky water caused by algal bloom and dangerous bacteria. The model you choose will depend on the size of your fish tank, but either one is an excellent choice.
Table of Contents
How Does It Work
Both of these UV sterilizers are submersible and have a built-in pump. There’s also a pre-filter sponge to help capture debris thus increasing the effectiveness of the UV light.
The 12-watt version can handle fish tanks of up to 75 gallons while the 13-watt version works with aquariums up to 150 gallons. Setting up the UV sterilizer is easy and takes no more than 10 minutes. There’s a detailed instruction manual to get you started.
Once you turn it on, the built-in pump directs waterborne organisms past the UV-C lamp for clean, clear aquarium water. The water also passes through a filter which removes debris which makes it easier for the UV light to destroy harmful microorganisms.
- Built-in water pump (power head).
- Easy to install (no extra hardware necessary)
- Includes mounting tools
- Great for small to medium sized aquariums
- Works with freshwater and saltwater aquariums and outdoor ponds
- Flexible (can mount it vertically or horizontally)
- Suction cups need replacing after prolonged use
- Filter only available for 9-watt version
- Filter lasts between 1 to 3 months
- Short bulb life (replacements available)
How To Set Up
The instructions below are for the 9-watt version with filter.
- Remove the filter from the packaging and rinse the filter pads and other components.
- Place the telescopic tube and intake cover into the intake tube.
- Insert the filter pads and other components into the filter body.
- Fill the filter with tank water before you turn it on.
- There’s a flow dial that lets you adjust the water intake.
- Turn down the surface skimmer if it is taking in too much air.
- Turn on the UV Sterilizer.
What I Like Most About It
It’s cheap and easy to install. No assembly required. Attach the unit inside the aquarium and turn it on. There’s also a round knob on the UV sterilizer, with which you can adjust the water flow (gallons per hour).
Is It Effective?
Yes. The SunSun JUP-01 (9watts) and Sun UV Sterilizer (13watts) do a great job at killing harmful bacteria in the water and keeping it clean and clear.
It can clear up green water within two weeks, depending on the condition of your fish tank at the time of installation. If you want to speed up the process, you can do a partial water change before installing the UV sterilizer.
Video: SunSun JUP 01 9W UV Sterilizer Review
Will It Kill Good Bacteria?
Yes, it kills the good bacteria also, but only the bacteria that goes through the machine. It only kills free-floating algae, bacteria. Most of the good bacteria in your tank are on the filter media or in the substrate so they should be safe.
Will It Harm Fish or Plants?
No, neither of these fish tank UV sterilizers harm your fish or plants. But, the UV light can render medicines ineffective so unplug it when treating your tank or fish with medication.
How Long Does It Last?
The bulb lasts between 1-6 months. The longer you run it, the sooner you have to replace the bulb. Try running it 8 hours per day to get the most out of the bulb. You can tell when the bulb needs replacing because one end of the bulb turns dark and you won’t see light from that end.
More Fish UV Sterilizer Reviews:
Last update on 2020-10-16 / Affiliate links / As an Amazon Associate this website may earn from qualifying purchases.